MERMAIDS

I KNOW: That I love jewelry

I few months ago my friend Isa showed me pictures of her beautiful, funny, intelligent aspiring model and daughter JuliaI immediately wanted to have her model in a shoot and had so many ideas. One of the cool things about Julia is that she dyes her hair blue, so I wanted it to be a shoot where that aspect was highlighted. I was talking about it to my friend Caroline one evening and she had the brilliant idea of a mermaid story. I then remembered a whole bunch of jewelry artists that I wanted to shoot that were extremely "Mermaidy" in the sense that the pieces were either made from or inspired by nature or organic geometric shapes. My friend and photographer Erin Patrice O'brien had the idea to shoot it for a beauty magazine that she works with sometimes called "Your Beauty Industry." 

Some inspiration
For hair we wanted to do some jewelry in the hair and make it gorgeous, but messy and also have some braids. I'm really into braids right now.




  
For makeup originally we had wanted a clean clear look, but then as the shoot progressed on the actual day, as you will see, we got really creative. We decided to get another model and I went hunting for my favorite jewels and mermaid clothes. Here are some samples (All credits and websites at the bottom of blog post):

Alex Streeter
Flotsam and Jetsam


Erika Dray
Hilary Park


Emily Miranda Studio

Perry Gargano
I picked up clothes from some of my favorites, Zero and Maria Cornejo, Marc Jacobs, Mara Hoffman, Mandarin and General, Artists and Revolutionaries. (Credits and websites at bottom of blog post. Here are some of the pics from the shoot. These are just snapshots. When the mag comes out I will re-post. 









Photographer: Erin Patrice O'brien
Hair: Christina Mirabella
Makeup: Debra Macki
Stylist: Stella Metzner
Jewelry: Alex Streeter, All For The Mountain, ARENAgal, Erika Dray, Emily Miranda Studio, Flotsam and Jetsam, Hilary Park, Lisa Levine, Perry Gargano, SonicRibbon.
Clothes: Artists and Revolutionaries, Mandarin and General, Mara Hoffman, Marc Jacobs, Zero and Maria Cornejo.