JOHNNY DEPP

I know: That Johnny Depp is my friend.
      
Three or four years ago I had a dream that Johnny Depp came to our annual Metzner Fest summer country party upstate. He brought Vanessa and the kids and we all ate and danced and drank. Then Johnny and I started talking and we walked up to the Mill and stayed up all night telling each other stories, laughing and philosophizing. At one point I said, "Don't you think Vanessa is going to be upset that you have been with me all night?" and he said something like, "No, we've just been talking, and we've become great friends. She knows me. She doesn't mind." In the morning of the dream he got into my dad's big black Suburban truck and my dad drove him back to his hotel where Vanessa and the kids were staying. We waved goodbye not knowing if we would ever see each other again or get a chance to talk and laugh the night away.


When I woke up the next day in this real life I was in a really wonderful mood. I felt like I had made a new friend and connected with someone that I had always wanted to in a very special way, more special than if I had gotten to make out with him...I'm no homewrecker. Ever since then every time I see a picture of Johnny I smile and say "hey."

One time my sister Evyan was working with a photographer who was flying out to LA to shoot Johnny the next day. She asked him to bring me an autograph and he did even better than that.  

I keep this photograph on my desk. I know that somewhere out there Johnny is sending me "all good."